Friday, August 19, 2011

Orange Meringue Cupcakes

Yesterday I bought a bag or tangerines and they were so sour that I couldn't eat them. So remembering the lemon meringue cupcake I had when we were in Cornwall I thought I try and make some orange meringue cupcakes! Easy peasy - regular cake mix (2 eggs, 100g sugar, 100g butter, 165g flour plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and soda each) with a teaspoon of orange essence, 2 tablespoons very tart freshly squeeze tangerine juice and the grated zest of 3 tangerines and a tablespoon of plain yoghurt to loosen it up. I put that in cases and then in the oven (180°C) for 15min until cooked through. I whisked up 4 egg whites til quite stiff and then whisked in 100g sugar. Once that cakes were cooked I popped 1/2 teaspoon of orange curd on the top, then piped on the meringue. Then they went back in the oven for 7min to brown. Very yummy!!

3 comments:

The undomesticated scientist said...

yum yum yum

mickeydownunder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mickeydownunder said...

G'day and thank you for inspiring me to create my Mini Mandarin Meringue Moments Cupcakes! They came out GREAT!

http://whatsonthelist.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/mini-mandarin-meringue-moments-cupcakes/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...