Friday, August 05, 2005

Anouchka's Chocolate Cake with Raspberries

chocolate and raspberry cake Posted by Picasa


Last night I was seized by an urge to make chocolate cake, which I plant firmly at Susan's door as she gave me half of her chocolate and raspberry brownie that Julian had made for his birthday. So I routed through lots of cookery books and then went on a mini expedition to purchase ingredients. I chose Anouchka's Chocolate Cake from Joanne Harris's My French Kitchen but thought that adding a few raspberries in would be fabulous! So here is the slightly modified recipe:

For the cake:
180g butter
180g soft dark brown sugar
40g dark chocolate melted (70% cocoa)
50g ground almonds
130g self raising flour
3 eggs
15 raspberries

For the icing:
190g icing sugar
30g cocoa powder
25g butter
70ml hot milk

Cream the butter and sugar together from the cake ingredients (if you haven't got a mixer, like me, and have sore arms from going climbing, this may take a while and sitting half watching something mindless on the telly will help!). Then add the eggs one at a time to get a slightly split batter. Add the almonds and chocolate and finally add the flour to make a smooth batter. Put this into a 20cm cake tin and press the raspberries into the mixture. Mine were frozen but I think fresh should work just as well. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C. The recipe suggested 35min but it took me 45min so just keep checking. Cool and then smother in the icing.

To make the icing pour the milk onto the cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Cream the sugar and butter and then add the cocoa mix and beat until smooth.

1 comment:

boo_licious said...

Ah, that looks good. I can imagine Anouk and Pantoufle having a great big slice of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...