Saturday, October 22, 2005

And today....


is a day of rest as we have been exceptionally busy for the last few days. We had more lectures and then spent the afternoon in the field. My group went on a litter survey with Paco. We got to use our newly gained GPS skills and to estimate how much rubbish was in a dump site. Then on Thursday we all worked together on the interpretive trail in the mangrove, clearing wood from the path and lining the edge with tree trunks. Sounds unexciting but I was really enjoying swinging my machete! I had a bit of a scare when I went back to the house though as I found a scorpion in my bag!! Yikes!! Luckily Fred (our tame entomologist) stepped on it. And then yesterday we had a whole day out. First we went bird watching and then on to the UNAM biological station. Wow! This was a really well set out research facility, we wandered along there interpretive trail and got to appreciate the tropical dry forest. Then we were whisked off to Tenacatita for a picnic lunch and a spot of snorkelling (all in the name of science!). Clad in wesuits we tried to identify fish with Paco, who is a Marine Biologist. What fun, but I was exhausted by the time we got out of the water. So today is our day off and we have come to Barra de Navidad for a spot of ´culture´ and to do shopping if we want to. So until next time...adios!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...