Saturday, January 28, 2006

IMBB #22 Thai noodle soup



This month for IMBB Amy, of Cooking with Amy, is hosting 'Use your noodle'. Anything noodly goes! As I have been suffering from a cold this week (I hear cries of 'man-flu' in the background) I thought something a little spicy and soupy would be good. So I set myself the challenge of making a thai noodle soup. I really like to cook thai curry so tried making a vegie version that was a lot more liquidy than usual. I normally serve thai curry with rice vermicelli but thought I would potter off to the chinese supermarket to find something more 'exotic'. The range of noodles was vast and as I can't read chinese I really just went on what looked good. So the noodles above were my purchase - such a nice package and beautifully wrapped. Luckily there were some english cooking instructions, so I couldn't go wrong. And I didn't, it was a yummy soup and made me feel a lot better.




Thai noodle soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
6 mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 orange pepper finely chopped
4 mini carrots, finely sliced
2 tablespoons thai green curry paste
75g noodles
250ml stock
200ml water
handful of mangetout, chopped
1 pak choi, fleshy parts chopped, leaves finely shredded
200ml coconut milk
finely sliced lime to garnish

Gently fry the onion for 5min and then add the mushrooms, pepper and carrots and fry for another 5min. Stir in the curry paste, then add the stock and water and bring to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 6min. Add the mangetout, fleshy parts of the pak choi and the coconut milk and simmer for another 6 min. Stir in the pak choi leaves and serve with a slice of lime on the top of the soup.

Note: My noddles took 12min to cook, according to the packet, but if you use a different variety with a different cooking time adjust the recipe accordingly.


Tagged with: +

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...