Monday, January 30, 2006

Whiskey pannacotta



J and I were invited down to Susan's for dinner on Saturday night and I volunteered to make a pudding. So on Friday night I knocked together a whiskey pannacotta. I carefully went and bought cream and whiskey only to find that when I got home I didn't have any gelatine - only Vegel, which is fine but I used a whole packet and made rather rubbery pannacotta! So I would recommend using only half a packet of Vegel or a small quantity of gelatine to make this yummy dessert. Thanks to Susan and Julian for a great trip!

For 8
400ml double cream
400ml milk
8 tablespoons caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
8 tablespoons whiskey
1 sachet Vegel (vegetarian gelatine alternative)

Bring the vanilla pod with the seeds scraped out into the cream, the cream and half the milk to a boil and simmer for 5min. Add the whiskey. In another pan put the rst of the cold milk and the Vegel. Bring to the boil and then stir into the rest of the liquid. Strain into a jug and pour into 8 moulds. Put in the fridge to set. Serve with tuiles and raspberries!

Tuiles
2egg whites
60g butter, melted and cooled
60g caster sugar
120g plain flour

Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the sugar. Stirr in the butter and the flour. Use a teaspoon of the mixture to make a 10cm circle on a greased, lined baking sheet. Then bake at 180°C for 7min. Quickly lift off the biscuit and form around a rolling pin to get a curved biscuit. I found you can do about 2 at a time or they cool on the baking sheet before I could get the round the rolling pin.

Hampers Deli is a rather nice place for a coffee and piece of tiffin in Woodstock on the way to S&J's!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...